Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father’s Day Card I Should Have Mailed Earlier


I found this picture of you, and you looked hot, so I used it. Sorry...


Hey Pops,

So I know what you’re thinking… “Wow, I’m so proud I have a son who writes a blog post instead of sending me a Father’s Day card. I feel so touched, it’s like he knew exactly what I wanted.”

I know big guy, it’s emotional for me too.

I do feel bad though that I won’t be there with you on your 20th Father’s Day. It’ll be good to talk on the phone, and then see you when I come down for Kevin’s graduation. But it’s still a bummer that I’m in San Francisco working hard while you’re just beginning your three-month vacation in Brea.

I really appreciate you letting me spend the summer in NorCal, interning at Learnivore and staying at the Westmont house. It’s been terrific so far—exploring the city, living with great friends, figuring out a career path—and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. Except for this learning contract. The contract I'm supposed to create that states everything I’m expecting to learn over the course of the summer…except I have no idea what that will be.

But it got me to thinking about what I have learned up to this point, and how what I’ve learned has shaped me. And since it is Father’s Day, I thought I’d share some of those things with you.

From you, I learned how to have fun. Whether it was during my “Super Underwear Man” phase, the years of trying to wrestle you down to the ground (and losing to the “Fatty Daddy” move), or injecting our own commentary into Mom’s Bachelorette season finale, you have always jumped right into the fun. Thank you for encouraging me to laugh, and to not take myself seriously. I still consider you my comedic hero, and hopefully that’s not too insulting.

From you, I learned how to work hard. Between teaching, coaching, and working the vending machine business, you put in major hours everyday to provide for our family. And that doesn’t even include going back for your Master’s degree or co-running our Royal Family Kids’ camp for church. But I’ve never heard you complain, and you’ve always allowed me to do the things I’ve wanted to. Thanks for working so hard to put me through school, Dad. Major props.

From you, I learned how to cook. Step 1: Grab car keys. Step 2: Drive to Del Taco. Step 3: Don’t tell Mom.

From you, I learned how to be in a relationship. And none of it has to do with those semi-awkward talks that occasionally happened. I’ve seen how you treat Mom everyday, the respect, love, and playfulness you have with her. If I’m able to love Karis half as well as you love Mom, then I’m doing something right.

From you, I learned how to stand up for what is right. You’re a generally laid-back kind of guy, but when someone crosses a moral line of yours, you do not back down. Thank you for teaching me how to stand up for what I believe in, and never compromise on those beliefs.

From you, I learned how to be present with others. I’m convinced 90% of being a good dad is just being present with your kids, and the other 10% is not screwing things up for Mom. You’ve been so present in my life, coaching my basketball teams throughout high school, showing up at every back to school night or open house, and making sure to keep your summers free to spend time with your family. I know it probably wasn’t easy, and there were times you would rather have taken a nap than watch me sit the bench at a game. But watching your son win a participation award ribbon means a helluva lot more to him than forgetting to acknowledge his MVP. And man, have you participated in my life.

Thank you Dad, and Happy Father’s Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment